The following terms and conditions are in place to govern the use of social media platforms managed by Northumberland County (‘the County’). By visiting and/or posting on these platforms, users agree to follow the terms and conditions below.
• Any comments, images or videos that are posted by any third parties are not representative of the County. The County cannot guarantee the privacy of users on any third party owned sites. Users are subject to the terms and conditions of the social media application on which they post information. Users should be sure to review the third party terms and conditions on social media sites prior to agreeing to engage in posting comments or information on their site.
• By interacting via the County’s social media channels, users are aware and give their consent to have their information become a part of the public record and may be used in County documentation. The County has the discretion as to which information and comments are saved from social media sites to become a part of this documentation.
• Images and comments posted by third parties do not necessarily represent the view of the County. The County cannot and will not guarantee the privacy of users on any third party social media platforms. Users are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use of the third party sites and the County strongly recommends that users review these.
• The County is not responsible for any losses or damages incurred as a result of using third party social media sites. Individuals who choose to use these sites do so at their own risk and are aware of the potential liabilities; as such they accept that they have no legal recourse against the County related to such use.
• If another social media site lists the County or any of its departments, programs or services as a link on their own site, it does not imply an endorsement or sponsorship by the County of that website or its creator.
• By using this social media platform you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Hours of Operation
The County is committed to using its social media channels as an effective method of communication with interested users. All sites will be monitored during regular business hours of Monday to Friday 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Customer service is a priority for the County, and every attempt will be made to respond to inquiries via social media in a timely manner during office hours; however, the County encourages members of the public to contact us with official correspondence via traditional channels (phone, email, in-person). The County assumes no responsibility for lack of service due to channel-related downtime or issues.
The County reserves the right to edit, modify or remove any posts with content as follows:
• Profanity or profane content in a post;
• Content that promotes, fosters, or encourages discrimination based on creed, colour, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
• Inappropriate sexual content or links to any inappropriate sexual content;
• Any comments that are or could be construed as defamatory, understood to be statements that lower the reputation of a person or legal entity in the eyes of the public;
• Any illegal activity or encouragement of illegal activity;
• Solicitation of commerce;
• Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public, public systems or employees of the County;
• Any confidential information including but not limited to any personal information or personal health information of others;
• Materials that are owned or copyrighted by the County, including but not limited to images, screen shots, video, and any other information;
• Content that violates legal ownership interests of any other party including but not limited to any unauthorized use of copyrighted materials or trademarks.
Users may not use the County name or any related moniker to endorse or promote any product, opinion or cause. Representation of users’ personal opinion as endorsed by the County is strictly prohibited.
Although the County will try to respond to all applicable posts within a 24 hour period of time from the initial posting, it is in the nature of social media that accuracy and timelines may not be guaranteed and may not be reliable. As such, users acknowledge that the County makes no such guarantees. Further, the County is not responsible for the authenticity or suitability of content posted to its social media platforms by users.
The County will adhere to all applicable legislation regarding privacy and freedom of information. The County is subject to Ontario’s Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.56 (“MFIPPA”) and other privacy legislation.
Users should be aware that personal and other information contained in electronic correspondence (or printed copies of this electronic correspondence) directed to the County is subject to MFIPPA. This information may be deemed releasable under this legislation and the anonymity of the sender and confidentiality of any information contained in the correspondence cannot be guaranteed.
All records or other personal information collected through social media are subject to the County’s Records Retention By-Law No. 27-12 in accordance with The Ontario Municipal Records Management System (“TOMRMS”). By ensuring that content posted via social media is transitory in nature, representatives can be confident that these posts do not have a retention period under this By-Law.
Use of Collected Information
Unless explicitly stated, the County does not collect or distribute information garnered through the use of social media platforms for commercial or marketing purposes.
The County will not use any information provided by users for any purpose that is not consistent with the purpose for which the information was provided as stated on the social media platform.
Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitations of Liability
The third party social media sites that the County chooses to use are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. The County makes no representations or guarantees around the site’s security, operation, information, privacy setting changes, content, or material included on these sites. The third party site is able to change their settings without sending notification to the County or to users. The County is not responsible for the lack of notification around these changes and as such will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use or inability to use these sites. Users acknowledge that they use these sites at their own risk and have read the Terms and Conditions of Use for County social media channels and for the third party social media site.
Modification of Terms and Conditions of Use
The County reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions of Use at any time and at its sole discretion. Continued use of a social media site constitutes a user’s agreement to all of the aforementioned terms and conditions of use.
The Northumberland County Archives collects,preserves and provides access to historical records relating to the history of Northumberland County, Ontario.
The Northumberland County Archives ensures the responsible management of archival records created or received through corporate duties and activities of the County or acquired from participating member municipalities and private sources. Through the estab